Old “Day in the Life” posts can be found:  here and here.

Saturday July 13, 2013 – 12 month olds!!!

6:15 am – Girls wake up. This is about normal for them, although the past few days they’d been waking up about an hour earlier (between 5-5:30am), so I’m very glad to sleep in a little longer today!

6:45 am – Feed the girls milk. They’ve progressed to 100% cows milk, but are still drinking them out of warmed bottles right now. I’ve just ordered a couple of straw sippy cups that I hope will be able to help us transition from bottles to sippies. We already have several sippies but the girls spill them everywhere. They’ve done pretty well with straws so I’m hoping the straw sippy cups help!

7:00 am – Play time!

DSCN2513 DSCN2516 DSCN2517 DSCN2514 DSCN2512

8:00 am – Breakfast – the girls ate all finger foods this morning:  orange slices, scrambled eggs, and cheerios

8:30 am – Play time! The girls also skyped with their Grandma!

9:00 – 11:00 am – nap time. I was BUSY during this nap! I did 2 loads of laundry, emptied the dishwasher & started a new load, I made the bed, worked on some school stuff and cleaned the bathroom. I made myself a smoothie and enjoyed it as I was prepping some food for the girls – grapes that I washed and peeled so they’d be ready for a quick snack later. Some naps are busier than others but I think I hardly sat down during this nap time!

11:00 am – milk in bottles

11:15 am – Play time – the girls “helped” while I packed some boxes for our upcoming move (more on that soon!)

DSCN2524 DSCN2526 DSCN2527 DSCN2529

11:45 am – Lunch time – the girls ate a hodge podge of foods:  peeled grapes, cheese chunks, torn lunch meat, and a sippy cup with a little bit of my smoothie that I’d put aside for them (banana, orange, and pineapple). Mmmm!

DSCN2530 DSCN2531

After lunch Bailey had to have an outfit change because (even with the bib on), she managed to cover herself in food at lunch.



Note:  Red mark on her head is from her helmet. I’ll write a separate post with an update on that situation soon.

12:30 pm – More playing! This time we played with the inside of a paper towel roll. We used it as a periscope (to look at each other) and as a way to make silly noises. Then I ripped it in half and played that they were binoculars. Finally, I gave each girl half and they played with it themselves.


1:00 – 3:00 pm – Nap time! This nap time wasn’t quite as busy as the first. I did a quick little workout (I’ve taken to doing short HIIT workouts posted free on youtube!), took a shower, finally got dressed for the day (yikes!), and spent the rest of the girls’ nap looking at grocery store ads, meal planning for the week and making a grocery list. I used to not bother with the ads and would just plan meals and buy the necessary ingredients but I found that a lot of food was going to waste. Now I try to plan meals around the food we’ve already got so it doesn’t go bad, and I take into consideration the food on sale that week at the stores we shop from. This almost deserves a post of its own!

3:00 pm – Bottles

3:30 pm – Family errand time! This was a super low-key Saturday. I feel like most weekends are jam-packed with all types of things to get done but today we spent most of our day at the house. By the afternoon the girls were getting a little stir-crazy so we decided to go run a couple errands as a family so we could all get out for a bit.


5:15 pm – Got back home and girls went straight into the high chairs for dinner! I fed them a jar of baby food (turkey and vegetables), and as they were finishing up Dad walked in the house with pizza so we cut up some pizza for them to try as well. It was their first time trying pizza and they LOVED it!!! A major hit!

5:45 pm – Finally finished up the pizza, and I gave the girls a handful of peaches that had been peeled & chopped up as a sweet dessert.

5:55 pm – Play time!

6:30 pm – The girls both got changed into onsies (they’re wearing onsies to sleep instead of traditional pjs’s right now since its so hot and we don’t have A/C).


6:45 pm – Bottles!

7:00 pm – Family play time! Sometimes we like to lay on the bed and let the girls crawl all over us. It’s relaxing for us (especially after long, hard days), and the girls love it! After the bed got old we went back into the living room and played with various toys until the girls started getting fussy (fussy = sleepy!!!). Tonight they started getting fussy around 7:45pm. They generally go to sleep between 8-8:30 but they’ve been waking up earlier than I prefer, so I tried to entertain them and keep them up a bit later. By about 8:20 the girls weren’t having any of my antics anymore so I went ahead and put them to sleep.


8:20 pm – bed time!

After the girls are in bed, I spent some time sorting through my closet. As I briefly mentioned, we’re going to be moving soon (our lease is up at the end of August). I’m finding that I really want to purge my closet of a ton of clothes BEFORE we move! Some of the items are too small now that I’ve had babies, and other items just feel inappropriate for my age (e.g., too short, too low-cut, etc.). Other items are things I just don’t like or don’t wear anymore. I made 3 boxes:  1 for our move (to take to the new house), 1 to sell, and 1 to donate. I’ve also got a 4th box with baby items – either clothing that they’ve outgrown or things we no longer need/use. My plan to try to maximize $$$ is to first take the adult stuff to Buffalo Exchange or Plato’s Closet (clothing resale shops) to try to sell. Whatever is leftover will be carted over to a children’s resale shop with all the baby items with the hopes that maybe a couple more things will be bought (since kids’ resale shops often buy both baby AND adult clothing). At that point, any leftover adult stuff will get put into the Goodwill box and any leftover baby stuff will get re-sorted. Some of it will undoubtedly go to Goodwill, but my sister and sister-in-law are BOTH pregnant right now so if there are any good baby items leftover I’ll put them aside to give to them as hand-me-downs. That’s the plan! I’m trying to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle – helpful for the planet AND my pocket-book! : )

All the sorting took a few hours so after it was complete (and I’d managed to reduce my closet’s contents by almost 50%!!!), Chris had already fallen asleep on the couch in front of the TV (his norm). I woke him up to go to bed and we went to sleep around 10:30.

6 am comes pretty early, so need to get our beauty sleep! : )