Remember when I talked about my typical day here (while the girls were still in the NICU and I was pumping every 2-3 hours)???

Well not much has changed – hence the name of this post.

We LOVE.LOVE.LOVE the girls being here, but it hasn’t drastically changed my normal daily schedule, aside from getting less sleep than before.

So let me share a typical day with you. First, a couple of notes.

  1. On “typical” days I don’t leave the house. If we have a pediatrician appointment it’s a whole huge ordeal to get out the door. Right now we have pediatrician appointments once per week, but on the average day I stay home with the kiddos while Chris works.
  2. When I talk about “feed times” it includes changing and feeding both babies and then breast-pumping afterward. I’m still predominantly pumping because the pediatrician has asked me to continue mostly feeding the babies by bottle. They’re still so small and it’s so much more difficult for them to breastfeed (as opposed to eat from a bottle) that the doctor doesn’t want them expending the extra calories since they need to be growing and gaining weight. They’re fed breastmilk, but its from a bottle.
  3. The huge variability in feeding times stems from several factors:  If Chris is home we tag-team feeds so it goes faster. If I’m breastfeeding (which I do once or twice per day) it takes significantly longer. And the middle-of-the-night feeds are notoriously rough. The girls eat a little, fall asleep for 20 minutes, then wake up crying/hungry, so the feeds tend to drag on. and on. and on.

Anyways, here’s my schedule – from noon to noon.

12:00-1:30pm:  Do dishes (predominantly baby bottles/nipples); Do work (I’m teaching an online course right now and working on some statistical projects from home).

1:30-4:00pm:  Baby Feed

4:00-5:30pm:  Do more dishes/laundry and school work. Talk to Chris (he gets home from work in this time-frame).

5:30-7:00pm: Baby Feed

7:00-9:00pm:  Make and eat dinner. Sit for a minute (exhausted by this point!!!), and grade papers.

9:00-10:30pm:  Baby Feed

10:30pm-12:30am:  SLEEP!

12:30am-3:30am:  Baby Feed

3:30am-5:30am:  SLEEP!

5:30am-7:00am:  Baby Feed

7:00am-8:00am:  SLEEP! (if I’m lucky…sometimes the babies keep me up so I”m “awake” for the day by 5:30am)

8:00-9:30am:  Coffee! Clean (dishes, laundry, prep baby bottles, sweep, etc.)

9:30-11:30am:  Baby Feed

11:30-12:00pm:  Work!

It’s been difficult. I wasn’t sleeping a lot before (when the babies were in the NICU) due to pumping round-the-clock, but now I’m awake for much longer stretches at night so I’m sleeping even less. I’ve also had to start working again. Thank goodness I’m able to work from home. But even so, I’ve had to learn how to work in short bursts that are frequently interrupted. My usual working style was to sit down for several hours and knock out a bunch of work, so it’s very different to only have short periods of time to work in.

As I mentioned earlier, if I have to leave the house that throws a big wrench into our schedule. It has to be carefully planned around eating times (can’t be right after a feed or else the movement makes the girls throw up….can’t be right before a feed or else they’re starving and fussy, etc.).

This schedule also doesn’t take into consideration any other events going on – like when we had to have car work done (DRAMA!), and it’s on a non-baby-bath day (baths cut into “sit” time).

Some days I may try to take a nap while the babies are sleeping, but its so important right now for me to work (the girls are on my insurance so I don’t have an option with working…it has to happen), and I can’t really cut into my work time.

And everything takes 10 times longer than I would have expected. The first time I left the house with Bailey it literally took 2 hours to get our acts together. Why? I don’t know. I really don’t. That’s just how it is. But I think it’s already getting easier. I’m learning the girls’ cues and figuring out their wants and needs. We’re all learning together.

And there’s nothing like having our family all together under our own roof. Even if I’m exhausted, only get a shower every-other-day, and haven’t done my hair (other than in a ponytail) for over a week. Love our little girls! ❤